The Amanda Young Foundation is a non-profit community organisation dedicated to reducing deaths in WA from meningococcal disease, and supporting survivors of the disease. The Foundation is also committed to supporting the development of young people into WA's future leaders. The Foundation was formed in 1998 following the tragic death of Amanda Young from meningococcal septicaemia at the tender age of 18 years.
The Foundation achieves its mission through:
- Meningococcal Awareness and Education
- increasing awareness and educating the community and medical profession regarding meningococcaldisease;
- Funding Research
- providing funding for relevant medical research and encouraging increased research into meningococcal disease;
- Young Leaders Summit
- organising an annual camp for year 11 school students across the state to support and encourage the development ofleadership skills;
- Fundraising Events
- our fundraising events fund the Foundation's work and also have an awareness raising affect. Our main annual events includethe Amanda Young Foundation Charity Ball held in May each year, the Open Garden at Romancing the Stone garden in Maida Vale, and Amanda's Garden Fete, a weekend event in October each year.
Meningococcal Conference for Health Professionals at Crown Perth -
1 August 2014 8.45am - 1 pm. Guest Speaker - Professor Ray Borrow. Book HERE Conference Booking
Prof Ray Borrow is Head of the Vaccine Evaluation Unit at Public Health England, Manchester, UK, where he is responsible for the evaluation of serological responses to various bacterial and viral vaccines with a special interest in meningococcal and pneumococcal vaccines.
National Meningococcal Day on Friday 29th August! The Amanda Young Foundation is again running our very successful Kiddy Canter for children 2-5 years old at child care centres, pre-schools and kindergartens to learn about hygiene and meningococcal disease. This year we have a programme of new activities and stories to entertain and educate the children
Bookings now closed - materials available to download free under Education tab.
Toddlers Meningococcal Vaccine Trial - can you help - volunteers needed - download for further information
See Amanda's Garden on the ABC programme "Gardening Australia" ABC Gardening Australia